Current Job Openings:
WXPR Station Manager
WXPR is an independent community public radio station providing news, weather, public service messages and music to listeners in Northern Wisconsin and Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. The Station Manager reports directly to the WXPR Board of Directors and manages a staff of six employees and volunteers.
The Station Manager's role is to ensure that WXPR meets its obligations to its listeners, its funders and to regulatory agencies. Duties include: Board support, budget development, station finances, grant reporting, fundraising, programming, facilities maintenance, employee management, and legal/FCC compliance. Also serves as President of the White Pine Broadcasting Company, Inc.
The Station Manager should have ten-years broadcasting management experience or Bachelor’s Degree or higher, strong skills in fundraising and financial management, on-air and programming experience, the ability to work with diverse groups, computer expertise and strong verbal and written communication skills. Non-profit and public radio experience preferred, including knowledge of FCC regulations.
Compensation commensurate with experience. Benefits per WXPR personnel policy.
Application Deadline: May 15, 2017. Position will remain open until filled.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Employee must demonstrate strong attention to detail and be able to accurately perform complex tasks.
- While performing job duties, the employee will be exposed to normal office conditions and usual office equipment such as telephone, personal computer, printers, copiers, reports and files.
- Employee will be constantly required to sit, talk, hear, type and write.
- Employee will be frequently required to stand, walk, touch/handle/grasp (using hands and fingers) and reach with hands and arms.
- Employee must occasionally bend or squat and lift and/or push up to 10 pounds of general office items.
- Specific vison abilities required by this job include close, far and field of vision.
- Position requires regular and punctual employee presence.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify, assess, and inform the Board of Directors of internal and external issues that affect the organization.
- Act as a professional advisor to the Board of Director on all aspects of the organization's activities.
- Foster effective team work between the Board and the Station Manager and between the Station Manager and staff.
- Conduct official correspondence on behalf of the Board as appropriate and jointly with the Board when appropriate.
- Represent the organization at community activities to enhance the organization's community profile.
- Station Manager is an Executive Employee with the authority to make personnel changes and is expected to exercise discretion and independent judgment in the performance of this position.
- Maintain the overall vision of the Corporation, as set forth in the mission statement, and communicate that vision to staff, volunteers, listeners, and the community.
- Operational planning and management
- Work with staff to develop an operational plan, with goals and objectives, to implement the strategic plan.
- Ensure that the operation of the organization meets the expectations of its listeners, funders, and Board.
- The Station Manager shall establish and continually improve broadcast quality.
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the organization.
- Maintain an appropriate records management system.
- Provide support to the Board by preparing regular reports and supporting materials.
- Prepare applications, amendments, reports, and all other documentation required by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the Federal Communications Commission, the Public Telecommunications Facilities Program, other government agencies, and foundations.
- Oversee the preparation of the annual corporate budget and present it for the approval of the Board.
- Program planning and management
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the organizational operations.
- Ensure that the programs and services offered by the organization align with the organization's mission and reflect the needs of the listeners, members, and Board.
- Human resources planning and management
- Determine staffing requirements and staff assignments.
- Oversee organizational policies, procedures and practices, including the maintenance of job descriptions for all staff.
- Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations.
- Provide appropriate staff orientation to the organization and offer appropriate training as needed.
- Implement a performance management process for all staff which includes monitoring the performance of staff on an on-going basis and conducting annual performance reviews.
- Coach and mentor staff as appropriate to improve performance.
- The Station Manager has oversight for volunteer orientation, training and/or dismissal, as necessary.
- Have the authority to make personnel changes that include selecting, removing, advancing in pay, or promoting subordinate employees.
- Financial planning and management
- Work with staff and the Board Finance Committee to prepare the annual budget.
- Work with the Board to secure adequate funding for the operation of the organization.
- Research funding sources, oversee the development of fund raising plans and write funding proposals.
- Supervise all fundraising for WXPR including but not limited to participation and planning in fundraising activities.
- Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board, and monitor the monthly cash flow of the organization.
- Oversee bookkeeping and accounting procedures.
- Participate on the Board Finance Committee to provide regular financial reports to the Board.
- Ensure that the organization complies with all state and federal financial requirements.
- Community relations/advocacy
- Communicate with stakeholders to keep them informed of the work of the organization and to identify changes in the community served by the organization.
- Schedule regular Community Advisory Board meetings.
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, politicians, and other organizations.
- Maintain public relations by being an on-air presence, as time permits.
- Risk management
- Ensure that the Board of Directors and the organization carries appropriate and adequate insurance coverage.
- Ensure that the Board and staff understand the terms, conditions and limitations of the insurance coverage.
- Ensure that the WXPR building and premises are maintained in accordance with all applicable codes and safety requirements.
How to Apply
Submit letter of intent with resume by 5/15/17 to firstname.lastname@example.org or Employment, WXPR, 28 N Stevens St, Rhinelander WI 54501.
All employment decisions shall be made without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law.