WXPR's Community Journalists
Most Active Stories
- Margot Adler, An NPR Journalist For Three Decades, Dies
- UPDATE: Star Lake Woman Dies After Rescuing Kids From Drowning
- Investigative Film on Penokee Mine Comes to Northern Wisconsin
- State Limited In Helping Keep Rail In Rural Areas: Secretary
- Mixing Experiment Helps Remove Ninety Percent of Invasive Smelt From Crystal Lake
Winter hours only
Wed November 13, 2013
Budget Cuts Means Less Rhinelander Library Hours
The Rhinelander District Library Board has agreed to cut hours to make up a budget shortfall.
This fall, Director Ed Hughes told the Rhinelander city council his budget was overdrawn because of an error made concerning employee health insurance last year. With the city and supporting towns experiencing tight fiscal times, they rejected an increase to cover the loss.
Hughes says the library board agreed to not fill a vacant position and cut hours...
"....(the library board) decided on the busyness, or lack of business...that one to three o'clock on Saturdays and Tuesday nights from 6:00-8:00 p.m. are the (times) when there's the least traffic throughout the year...."
The changes in hours will be for this winter. Hughes says the hours will be filled and the library open again Saturday afternoon and Tuesday evening during the summer only.
Budget frozen for next year
Mistake leads to arbitration hearing