WXPR's Community Journalists
Most Active Stories
- Mixing Experiment Helps Remove Ninety Percent of Invasive Smelt From Crystal Lake
- Black Ash Baskets: Weaving Resistance to Invasive Species
- UPDATE: Star Lake Woman Dies After Rescuing Kids From Drowning
- Tribe Celebrates Return of Strawberry Island
- Investigative Film on Penokee Mine Comes to Northern Wisconsin
Town wants stricter limits on placements
Sat June 1, 2013
Cloverland To Host Hearing On Sex Offender Ordinance
A public hearing has been called for Thursday night by the Vilas county town of Cloverland to talk about a proposed sex offender placement ordinance.
Last year a convicted sex offender was placed on Chickaree Lake Road. Local residents were upset with the placement. Cloverland town chair Scott Maciosek says the town wants to spell out what they want...
"....we're trying to protect the kids in our town plus be able to stop them from just being able to drop somebody in here without saying anything to anybody...."
He says they've scheduled a public hearing for Thursday, June 6 at 7:00 p.m. at the Cloverland town hall so residents can see the proposal. Then it will go to the town board likely in July...
".....it'll go back to the board at our next board meeting which is on July 3 at 7:00 p.m. at the town hall..."
The proposed ordinance restricts the numbers of offenders living at the same location and also prohibits them from loitering and establishing residency.