WXPR's Community Journalists
Most Active Stories
- Margot Adler, An NPR Journalist For Three Decades, Dies
- UPDATE: Star Lake Woman Dies After Rescuing Kids From Drowning
- Investigative Film on Penokee Mine Comes to Northern Wisconsin
- State Limited In Helping Keep Rail In Rural Areas: Secretary
- Mixing Experiment Helps Remove Ninety Percent of Invasive Smelt From Crystal Lake
Neighbors opposed construction
Wed May 29, 2013
Committee Approves Howard Young Helicopter Pad
An Oneida county committee has approved a conditional use permit for Ministry Health Care to construct an enlarged helicopter pad at Howard Young Medical Center in Woodruff. The vote was 4-0.
The application was for a 24-7 operation of a helicopter pad and hanger and 12 thousand gallon fuel tank. At a recent public hearing, neighbors complained of having several flights per day. Ministry officials said they wanted to centralize the emergency medical transportation from Rhinelander to Woodruff.
County Planning and Development Director Karl Jenrich said the committee reviewed the application and made a decision...
"For the most part the committee felt that the conditions for the general standards for approval were met. After that, they discussed conditions to be placed on the conditional use permits that somewhat developed eleven of them. The town of Woodruff submitted five additional ones."
Jenrich says two conditions have to be brought back to the commmittee for review including the construction of a sound-deadening berm around the site. Another concern centered on the closing of nearby streets as part of what's called a helicopter protection zone.