WXPR's Community Journalists
Most Active Stories
- Mixing Experiment Helps Remove Ninety Percent of Invasive Smelt From Crystal Lake
- UPDATE: Star Lake Woman Dies After Rescuing Kids From Drowning
- Black Ash Baskets: Weaving Resistance to Invasive Species
- Tribe Celebrates Return of Strawberry Island
- Investigative Film on Penokee Mine Comes to Northern Wisconsin
Sheriff's investigation leads to charges
Thu August 15, 2013
Elcho Clerk-Treasurer Faces 43 Charges
The town of Elcho's clerk-treasurer has been charged with 43 counts of misconduct in public office and forgery in Langlade county.
Online court records indicate 43 year old Melissa Bloechl of Elcho is facing one theft charge in excess of $10,000, two counts of forgery and forty counts of misconduct in public office. The complaint was filed Wednesday.
The Antigo Daily Journal reports Bloechl has been the subject of an investigation by the sheriff's department. Another town officer is said to have alerted the sheriff's department. An area financial institution said money had allegedly been withdrawn from town accounts over several years.
One check is said to be more than $52,000 and another was $40,000.
Bloechl has been ordered to appear in court September 11. She was freed on a $25,000 signature bond.