WXPR's Community Journalists
Most Active Stories
- Margot Adler, An NPR Journalist For Three Decades, Dies
- UPDATE: Star Lake Woman Dies After Rescuing Kids From Drowning
- Investigative Film on Penokee Mine Comes to Northern Wisconsin
- State Limited In Helping Keep Rail In Rural Areas: Secretary
- Mixing Experiment Helps Remove Ninety Percent of Invasive Smelt From Crystal Lake
Delta Connection popular
Wed July 9, 2014
Enplanements Up At Rhinelander-Oneida Co. Airport
The number of passengers flying out of the Rhinelander-Oneida County Airport is showing a sharp increase from one year ago.
Airport Director Joe Brauer says people are coming back after a low point during the Great Recession....
"....our passenger enplanements are up for the year. Our first six months was up 20 percent over the previous year. Kind of attribute that to stabilizing service here with Delta Airlines into its second year of service at our airport....."
Delta has connecting flights to the Minneapolis-St. Paul market. Brauer says an economy that is slowly improving accounts for a portion of the increase, but he says Mother Nature also is a factor...
"...it seems that people who normally take one trip a year to Florida or another warm weather area, because of the severe winter this year, they're taking a second or sometimes a third trip. It's of shorter duration, but they take that extra trip or two...."
Brauer says it is clear there are more business and leisure travelers flying out of Rhinelander.
More passengers flying out