WXPR's Community Journalists
Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Star Lake Woman Dies After Rescuing Kids From Drowning
- Mixing Experiment Helps Remove Ninety Percent of Invasive Smelt From Crystal Lake
- Investigative Film on Penokee Mine Comes to Northern Wisconsin
- Tribe Celebrates Return of Strawberry Island
- Black Ash Baskets: Weaving Resistance to Invasive Species
Around the Nation
Fri March 28, 2014
Fastest Growing U.S. City Is A Retirement Community
Originally published on Mon March 31, 2014 10:24 am
LINDA WERTHEIMER, HOST:
Good morning, I'm Linda Wertheimer.
The fastest-growing city in the country is not what you'd expect, not a trendy tech hub, not an edgy edge city. It's The Villages, in Central Florida. Nobody under 55 can live there. Aging boomers have made The Villages the biggest retirement community in the world - specializing in microbrew, golf courses and November-December romance; also, the world's longest golf cart parade.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.