WXPR's Community Journalists
Most Active Stories
- Margot Adler, An NPR Journalist For Three Decades, Dies
- UPDATE: Star Lake Woman Dies After Rescuing Kids From Drowning
- Investigative Film on Penokee Mine Comes to Northern Wisconsin
- State Limited In Helping Keep Rail In Rural Areas: Secretary
- Mixing Experiment Helps Remove Ninety Percent of Invasive Smelt From Crystal Lake
Geared for tech users
Mon October 28, 2013
Grant For Vilas County Silent Sports Trails
A nearly $40,000 grant will help promote silent sports trails in Vilas county.
Tourism and Publicity Director Cindy Burzinski says the money will be used to give travelers a way to find the trails...
"....the entire project is going to be one cohesive map. And the map will have all the land and water-based trails, non-motorized, that Vilas county has to offer. And added to that we will be putting together an "app" for mobile devices. It will be using all the digital GPS data..."
There are more than 50 land and water-based trails in Vilas county. ....
"....users can download this 'app' to their mobile device. The GPS data will tell them how far in on the trail they've gone, how far they have left to go and thus making people not from the area a little more comfortable with a trail they might not be familar with..."
The money is a state Joint Effort Marketing grant through the Department of Tourism.