WXPR's Community Journalists
Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Star Lake Woman Dies After Rescuing Kids From Drowning
- Mixing Experiment Helps Remove Ninety Percent of Invasive Smelt From Crystal Lake
- Investigative Film on Penokee Mine Comes to Northern Wisconsin
- Tribe Celebrates Return of Strawberry Island
- Black Ash Baskets: Weaving Resistance to Invasive Species
Wed June 19, 2013
Helping Homeless Pets Fundraiser Sunday
You can burn some shoe leather to help homeless pets in the area.
The Oneida County Humane Society is hosting the "Hike For Homeless Pets" this weekend.
Spokesperson Sue Otis says the fundraiser helps keep the Rhinelander shelter in business...
"...funds will be used for our adoption center. That's basically for our operations and the needs of the animals and to take care of them and basically to run the building. Any maintenance...just to keep the center going..."
Top fundraisers will win one of three prizes.
The hike is Sunday, June 23 from 1:00 until 4:00 p.m. at the state McNaughton Trail, three miles south of Lake Tomahawk. Otis says leashed pets are fine, and bring insect repellent, a water bottle and waste bag. The trails range from one to five and half miles.
More information is at the Oneida County Humane Society website