WXPR's Community Journalists
Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Star Lake Woman Dies After Rescuing Kids From Drowning
- Mixing Experiment Helps Remove Ninety Percent of Invasive Smelt From Crystal Lake
- Black Ash Baskets: Weaving Resistance to Invasive Species
- Tribe Celebrates Return of Strawberry Island
- Investigative Film on Penokee Mine Comes to Northern Wisconsin
Mon June 30, 2014
Human Skeleton Found Near Lake Julia
A human skeleton has been found in the woods of Oneida County. A citizen in the Town of Pelican found the remains near Lake Julia. The Oneida County Sheriff’s Office was notified just before noon on Monday.
Chief Deputy Dan Hess says detectives responded and did locate the skeletal remains of a human.
“Skeletal remains were located. Preliminary investigation indicates that it’s a suspected adult male. It does not appear to be a recent death.”
That means the death most likely occurred at least a year ago.
The Oneida County Sheriff’s Office and Medical Examiner are continuing their investigation into the remains and circumstances surrounding the death.
The next step is an autopsy to determine the cause of death, and attempting to identify the body through dental records.