Warning: Flammable
3:11 pm
Wed July 3, 2013

This July Fourth, Be Careful With Those Fireworks

For some people Fourth of July is the perfect excuse to play with fire…but it can also be the perfect time to cause an accident or an injury.  That’s the message from Oneida County health officials, who are warning people to use caution around fireworks.  

Lighting fireworks at home can be risky.
Credit Art Brom

Public Health nurse Rob Deede says this isn’t the time for experimentation.

“We want to make sure that people are aware that fireworks can be dangerous if used improperly.  So we always recommend using them exactly as instructed not trying to experiment or create their own fireworks.  We want to make sure that everyone has a safe and fun holiday.”

The county health department also says you should never let children operate fireworks…and never try to re-light a dud firework.  And Deede says it’s important to always keep water handy just in case. 

“Another thing that’s really important is to keep pets indoors and away from fireworks.  Fireworks can be really frightening to pets and we wouldn’t want anybody’s pets to run off in fear, being outside during a fireworks show.”

Deede points out the safest route is to leave the fireworks to the professionals, and watch the local fireworks show from a safe distance.  For more safety tips you can check out the Oneida County Health Department’s website