WXPR's Community Journalists
Most Active Stories
- Margot Adler, An NPR Journalist For Three Decades, Dies
- UPDATE: Star Lake Woman Dies After Rescuing Kids From Drowning
- Investigative Film on Penokee Mine Comes to Northern Wisconsin
- Mixing Experiment Helps Remove Ninety Percent of Invasive Smelt From Crystal Lake
- State Limited In Helping Keep Rail In Rural Areas: Secretary
Thu June 5, 2014
Lac du Flambeau Votes No On ATV Trail
Lac du Flambeau tribal members have voted against a plan for an ATV trail running through the reservation.
A referendum failed Thursday...with 126 votes against the plan and 79 votes in favor.
The Lakeland ATV Club had proposed to construct an 23-mile ATV trail through the reservation. Some tribal members felt the traffic and visitors would stimulate economic development. But others were concerned about the impact of an ATV trail on wildlife and air quality.
The tribal council says it will continue to explore environmentally sound options for recreational and economic development opportunities.