WXPR's Community Journalists
Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Star Lake Woman Dies After Rescuing Kids From Drowning
- Mixing Experiment Helps Remove Ninety Percent of Invasive Smelt From Crystal Lake
- Black Ash Baskets: Weaving Resistance to Invasive Species
- Tribe Celebrates Return of Strawberry Island
- Investigative Film on Penokee Mine Comes to Northern Wisconsin
Prescription drug take back
Fri April 25, 2014
LDF Take Back Initiative Saturday
Many Northwoods law enforcement agencies are participating in Saturday's "Take Back " initiative sponsored by the Drug Enforcement Administration. The effort enables residents to bring unneeded prescription medications to a collection spot where the drugs are collected at no charge and then are disposed.
In Lac du Flambeau, the collection will be from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the Lac du Flambeau Judicial Center on Peace Pipe Road.
Program Coordinator Sue Wolfe says there are a few things to remember when you bring in the drugs for disposal...
".....be in the original bottle, people need to cross off the original names on there.(But) they need to leave the name of the prescription on there...."
Wolfe says those participating can get a chance to be entered into a drawing for prizes.
The national effort is to get prescription medicines out of the hands of those who might abuse the drugs.
Contact your local law enforcement agency to find out where the collection is being held or go to the DEA website. The process is anonymous.