WXPR's Community Journalists
Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Star Lake Woman Dies After Rescuing Kids From Drowning
- Mixing Experiment Helps Remove Ninety Percent of Invasive Smelt From Crystal Lake
- Black Ash Baskets: Weaving Resistance to Invasive Species
- Tribe Celebrates Return of Strawberry Island
- Investigative Film on Penokee Mine Comes to Northern Wisconsin
Death Due to Heroin Overdose Last Year
Mon December 23, 2013
Lewis Pleas No Contest in Homicide Case
The last of three defendants charged after the heroin-induced death of a town of Crescent man one year ago has entered pleas.
Last week, 28 year old Richard Lewis entered no contest pleas to reckless homicide, and other charges in Oneida County Circuit Court. Co-defendant Jennifer Heiting of St. Germain has already entered as to similar charges, and both face possible 6 years in prison and nearly a decade on extended supervision.
David Stahl was found dead of a heroin overdose last December. That death led to the arrests of Lewis and Heiting. A third defendant, 40 year old Melissa Wales, said to not be as involved as Lewis and Heiting, entered a guilty plea last August. Her probation was recently revoked for a violation and was sent to jail for seven months.
Heiting will be sentenced Jan. 29, and Lewis on February 19.
Man Sustains Gunshot Wound