WXPR's Community Journalists
Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Star Lake Woman Dies After Rescuing Kids From Drowning
- Mixing Experiment Helps Remove Ninety Percent of Invasive Smelt From Crystal Lake
- Investigative Film on Penokee Mine Comes to Northern Wisconsin
- Tribe Celebrates Return of Strawberry Island
- Black Ash Baskets: Weaving Resistance to Invasive Species
Woodstock and Beyond
Thu May 15, 2014
Like Living in Your Imagination: Hendrix's Coat Evokes 1960s Memories
This is the story of a special coat that currently resides in the Northwoods.
It’s a long burgundy, double-breasted coat once worn by both John Lennon and Jimi Hendrix. It’s now owned by Rhinelander resident Ray Quicksilver.
WXPR’s Natalie Jablonski sat down with Quicksilver to hear how Hendrix came to give him the coat. It all started when Quicksilver’s father sent him to live with a relative in California…which landed him right in the middle of the countercultural movement of the 1960s.
Ray Quicksilver is giving a talk on the coat Monday at the Rhinelander library. It will also appear in a fashion show at the end of the month.