WXPR's Community Journalists
Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Star Lake Woman Dies After Rescuing Kids From Drowning
- Mixing Experiment Helps Remove Ninety Percent of Invasive Smelt From Crystal Lake
- Black Ash Baskets: Weaving Resistance to Invasive Species
- Tribe Celebrates Return of Strawberry Island
- Investigative Film on Penokee Mine Comes to Northern Wisconsin
Moved to November meeting
Tue September 17, 2013
No Decision On Boathouse Roof Change
A resolution that would allow flat roofs on boathouses in Oneida county was postponed at Tuesday's county board meeting.
Planning and Development chair Scott Holowinski asked for the postponement after department Director Karl Jenrich heard from the DNR....
"....we submitted it to DNR to comment on the rule and Karl, this morning, got an email(from the DNR) with some changes that the committee should talk about before we debate this. So what I'd like to do is table this...."
Supporters say it gives more options to property owners. Pelican Lake resident Jean Roach, prior to the postponement, spoke in opposition to the language change, saying it would further degrade water quality from runoff...
"...the science is clear. Adding impervious surfaces within 75 feet degrades the lake. That degredation results in less fish habitat. Less habitat means fewer fish. The result isn't complicated. It fewer tourist dollars spent by fishermen coming to the area..."
The committee will talk about it first, then the matter will return to the November meeting.