WXPR's Community Journalists
Most Active Stories
- Margot Adler, An NPR Journalist For Three Decades, Dies
- UPDATE: Star Lake Woman Dies After Rescuing Kids From Drowning
- Investigative Film on Penokee Mine Comes to Northern Wisconsin
- State Limited In Helping Keep Rail In Rural Areas: Secretary
- Mixing Experiment Helps Remove Ninety Percent of Invasive Smelt From Crystal Lake
Purchased in 2008
Tue March 18, 2014
Oneida Co. Sells Former WPS Building For $340K Loss
"....he's very concerned about the Rhinelander real estate market. he felt, in essence, this is going to be the cheap part of that building, that there's a lot more to come after this in terms of improvements. I think you guys are well aware of that from past discussions that it's going to take a lot more to get the building up and going...."
Another Rhinelander businessman had made an offer within the past few months for the property, but the county couldn't come to terms with him. Supervisor Scott Holowinski said the original thought was to put the Department on Aging in that building, but that didn't work out. He says the county didn't lose as much money as it appears. He says the county sold WPS the land off Timber Drive for $750,000...
"...out of that tax money, we didn't use tax dollars, we bought WPS for $525,000. At this point, I don't see that we have any use for it. Ya, we're taking a loss but we're still about($450,000 to the good), and we kept those 35 or 36 (WPS) jobs..."
The building was also looked as as a potential landing spot for the county Health Department or UW-Extension, but those ideas weren't accepted.