WXPR's Community Journalists
Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Star Lake Woman Dies After Rescuing Kids From Drowning
- Black Ash Baskets: Weaving Resistance to Invasive Species
- Mixing Experiment Helps Remove Ninety Percent of Invasive Smelt From Crystal Lake
- Tribe Celebrates Return of Strawberry Island
- Investigative Film on Penokee Mine Comes to Northern Wisconsin
At one point 6,000 without power
Thu April 17, 2014
Power Restored To Much Of Northwoods
The situation has dramatically improved for thousands of WPS customers in the Northwoods without power.
WPS spokesperson Leah VanZile has an update...
"...we've made tremendous improvement in restoring power throughout the Northwoods due to additional crews we had come up this morning working through the day to restore power. We're looking for full restoration for all areas by this evening...."
VanZile tells us much of the region had outages...
"....we did have outages in the Rhinelander area and down into the Pelican Lake and Monico, over to the Crandon and Argonne areas. The majority of the outages took place north of the Rhinelander and Crandon line...."
Van Zile says while northern Lincoln county was also affected, the hardest hit areas were in the Eagle River, St. Germain, Boulder Junction,Lac du Flambeau and Rhinelander areas.
At peak, 6,000 customers were without power. Crews from several communities serviced by Wisconsin Public Service helped the restoration effort.