WXPR's Community Journalists
Most Active Stories
- Margot Adler, An NPR Journalist For Three Decades, Dies
- UPDATE: Star Lake Woman Dies After Rescuing Kids From Drowning
- Investigative Film on Penokee Mine Comes to Northern Wisconsin
- State Limited In Helping Keep Rail In Rural Areas: Secretary
- Mixing Experiment Helps Remove Ninety Percent of Invasive Smelt From Crystal Lake
Died in action in Afghanistan
Tue April 15, 2014
Rhinelander Street To Be Named For Sgt. Ryan Adams
A street will be renamed to honor one of Rhinelander's fallen warriors.
At the urging of the Oneida County Veterans Council AmVets Post 724 in Rhinelander, they asked the city council to rename the current "Military Road" to "Adams Way". The street runs past the National Guard Armory. 26 year old Sergeant Ryan Adams of Rhinelander died in Logar Province in Afghanistan on October 2, 2009.
City alderman Tom Gleason says the local Post would like to dedicate the road at a future date...
"....we'll have a formal ceremony on one of the weekends the 951st "Sapper" Company is drilling at the (National Guard) Armory. I'll make a motion to approve that,.."
Adams was deployed with the Guard's 951st Engineer Company. About 100 soldiers from the Rhinelander and Tomahawk-based unit were sent to Afghanistan, where they cleared routes for the Army's 101st Airborne Division.