WXPR's Community Journalists
Most Active Stories
- Margot Adler, An NPR Journalist For Three Decades, Dies
- UPDATE: Star Lake Woman Dies After Rescuing Kids From Drowning
- Investigative Film on Penokee Mine Comes to Northern Wisconsin
- State Limited In Helping Keep Rail In Rural Areas: Secretary
- Mixing Experiment Helps Remove Ninety Percent of Invasive Smelt From Crystal Lake
Peak color approaching
Wed October 2, 2013
State, County, Local Facilities Open During Fed Shutdown
While facilities in the national forests are shutting down due to the government funding stalemate, a DNR spokesperson says state, county and local recreational facilities remain open.
That's the word from Paul Holtan who says the public has been calling to check on whether state-owned areas were open...
"....all of our state parks, trails, are open, our campgrounds are open. Our fisheries and wildlife are all open, so we're
While the feds have closed the national portion of the Horicon Marsh, the Horicon Marsh State Wildlife Area and Visitors Center are open. The Ice Age National Scenic Trail is open, but a volunteer program to do work has been halted.
Holtan says with peak color coming in the North, it's a good time to get outdoors.