WXPR's Community Journalists
Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Star Lake Woman Dies After Rescuing Kids From Drowning
- Mixing Experiment Helps Remove Ninety Percent of Invasive Smelt From Crystal Lake
- Black Ash Baskets: Weaving Resistance to Invasive Species
- Tribe Celebrates Return of Strawberry Island
- Investigative Film on Penokee Mine Comes to Northern Wisconsin
Seasonal Festival Approaches
Mon October 7, 2013
Three Lakes Pumpkin Fest Coming Up
Cranberry Fest is over. But if you’re ready for another fall celebration, Pumpkin Fest is coming up this weekend.
The Three Lakes Fire Department Auxiliary puts on the annual festival to raise money for the fire department. Spokesperson Spokesperson Mary Babich says last year the group was able to purchase a special boat motor, so crews can fight fires from the water.
“Because Three Lakes is a large chain of freshwater lakes, a lot of the homes and cabins are accessible more from the water than they are from the road. So if there’s a fire, a lot of times it’s easier to fight the fire from the water, inward.”
Babich says in addition to a raffle, most of the money is raised through vendor fees and food sales.
“They have about a hundred different craft booths – people come from all over the Midwest, you know a lot of jewelry, furniture, lots and lots of food.”
Babich is expecting several thousand people to attend the Three Lakes Festival.