Most Active Stories
Arts & Life
Fri August 29, 2014
WXPR Seeks General Manager
POSITION DESCRIPTION, STATION MANAGER
WXPR Public Radio
WXPR is an independent community public radio station providing news, weather, public service messages and music to listeners in northern Wisconsin and Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. The Station Manager reports directly to the WXPR Board of Directors and manages a staff of 5 employees and 50 volunteers.
The Station Manager's role is to ensure that WXPR meets its obligations to its listeners, its funders and to regulatory agencies. Duties include board support, budget development, station finances, grant reporting, fundraising, technology management, programming, facilities maintenance, employee management, and legal/FCC compliance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Identify, assess, and inform the Board of Directors of internal and external issues that affect the organization
- Act as a professional advisor to the Board of Director on all aspects of the organization's activities
- Foster effective team work between the Board and the Executive Director and between the Executive Director and staff
- Conduct official correspondence on behalf of the Board as appropriate and jointly with the Board when appropriate
- Represent the organization at community activities to enhance the organization's community profile
- Station Manager is an Executive Employee with the authority to make personnel changes and is expected to exercise discretion and independent judgment in the performance of the duties and responsibilities of this position
- Maintain the overall vision of the Corporation, as set forth in the mission statement, and communicate the vision to staff, volunteers, listeners, and the community
2. Operational Planning and Management
- Work with staff to develop an operational plan, with goals and objectives, to implement the strategic plan
- Ensure that the operation of the organization meets the expectations of its listeners, funders, and board
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the organization
- Maintain an appropriate records management system
- Provide support to the Board by preparing regular reports and supporting materials
- Prepare applications, amendments, reports, and all other documentation required by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the Federal Communications Commission, other government agencies, and foundations
- Oversee the preparation of the annual corporate budget and present it for the approval of the Board
- Provide oversight of WXPR’s standard of broadcast quality and its breadth and depth of content
3. Program Planning and Management
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the organizational operations
- Ensure that the programs and services offered by the organization align with the organization's mission and reflect the needs of the listeners, members, and Board
4. Human Resources Planning and Management
- Determine staffing requirements and staff assignments
- Oversee organizational policies, procedures and practices, including the maintenance of job description for all staff
- Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations
- Provide appropriate staff orientation and offer appropriate training as needed
- Implement a performance management process for all staff conduct annual performance reviews
- Coach and mentor staff as appropriate to improve performance
- Provide oversight for volunteer orientation, training, and supervision; and dismissal if necessary
- Make personnel changes that include selecting, terminating, advancing in pay, or promoting employees
5. Financial Planning and Management
- Work with staff and the Board Finance Committee to prepare the annual budget
- Work with the Board to secure adequate funding for the operation of the organization
- Research funding sources, oversee the development of fund raising plans, and write funding proposals
- Supervise all fundraising including but not limited to planning and participation in fundraising activities
- Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board and monitor the monthly cash flow
- Oversee bookkeeping and accounting procedures
- Participate on the Board Finance Committee to provide regular financial reports to the Board
- Ensure that the organization complies with all state and federal financial requirements
6. Community Relations and Advocacy
- Communicate with stakeholders to keep them informed of the work of the organization and to identify changes in the community served by the organization
- Schedule regular Community Advisory Board meetings
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, politicians, and other organizations
7. Risk Management
- Ensure that the Board of Directors and the organization carries appropriate and adequate insurance coverage
- Ensure that the Board and staff understand the terms, conditions, and limitations of the insurance coverage
- Ensure that the WXPR building and premises are maintained in accordance with all applicable codes and safety requirements
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must demonstrate strong attention to detail and must be able to perform complex tasks accurately
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be exposed to normal office conditions and usual office equipment such as telephone, personal computer, printers/copiers, reports and files
- The employee will be constantly required to sit, talk, hear, and type/write
- The employee will be frequently required to stand, walk, touch/handle/grasp (using hands and fingers), and reach with hands and arms
- The employee must occasionally bend or squat and lift and/or push up to 10 pounds of general office items
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, far, and field of vision
- This position requires regular and punctual employee presence
WXPR Public Radio
Application Deadline: October 15, 2014. Position will remain open until filled.
WXPR, an independent community-supported public radio station in Rhinelander, WI, is seeking to hire a general manager.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, or ten years or more experience in broadcasting field (or a combination of relevant education and experience).
- Three years of broadcast experience or three years in related media field.
- On-air and programming experience.
- Experience and expertise in direct staff management.
- Experience in fundraising for non-profits.
- Strong fiscal management skills for non-profits.
- Working knowledge of multi-media technology.
Compensation: $48,000 or commensurate with experience and qualifications
A full job description can be found at wxpr.org/employment. Submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
WXPR does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age.