WXPR's Community Journalists
Most Active Stories
- Margot Adler, An NPR Journalist For Three Decades, Dies
- UPDATE: Star Lake Woman Dies After Rescuing Kids From Drowning
- Investigative Film on Penokee Mine Comes to Northern Wisconsin
- State Limited In Helping Keep Rail In Rural Areas: Secretary
- Mixing Experiment Helps Remove Ninety Percent of Invasive Smelt From Crystal Lake
All non-tribal members
Thu May 8, 2014
28 Non-Tribal Members Expelled At Lac du Flambeau
28 persons have been told by Lac du Flambeau government and tribal police that they have 48 hours to leave the reservation.
None of the 28 persons who were notified are tribal members.
Tribal spokesperson Brandon Thoms says this is part of an on-going crackdown on illegal activity on the reservation...
"....as a result of some on-going investigations, the tribal council acted through a resolution passed that excludes 28 individuals from either physically residing or coming onto the Lac du Flambeau reservation...."
The action is the second by the tribe within a year. Last August they removed 53 non-tribal members from tribal lands. The tribe declared a State of Emergency in March, 2013 in response to surge in criminal activity....
"....some confidential sources regarding individual involvement, those named, their involvement in criminal activity, mainly being illegal drug activity, violent crimes...gang activity...or affiliation on the reservation..."
The tribal council resolution prevents those excluded from entering the reservation for five years, with criminal penalties if they do so.
Fund joint position
County-tribal relations cited