WXPR's Community Journalists
Most Active Stories
- Margot Adler, An NPR Journalist For Three Decades, Dies
- UPDATE: Star Lake Woman Dies After Rescuing Kids From Drowning
- Investigative Film on Penokee Mine Comes to Northern Wisconsin
- State Limited In Helping Keep Rail In Rural Areas: Secretary
- Mixing Experiment Helps Remove Ninety Percent of Invasive Smelt From Crystal Lake
Fri June 6, 2014
Federal Judge Rules Wisconsin's Same-Sex Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
A federal judge has overturned Wisconsin’s same-sex marriage ban.
In her decision Friday afternoon, U.S District Judge Barbara Crabb cited the US Supreme Court’s overturning of the Defense of Marriage Act.
Wisconsin’s Attorney General AG Van Hollen describes it as a setback and says current law remains in force.
Van Hollen says he will file emergency motions in federal courts to stay Judge Crabb's order, in response to reports of some county clerks already issuing same-sex marriage licenses.
The state's Democratic party is hailing the decision as the dawn of a new era. Democratic candidate for governor Mary Burke is calling it a great day for Wisconsin.
Whitetail deer decision
Treaty Rights Tested