WXPR's Community Journalists
Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Star Lake Woman Dies After Rescuing Kids From Drowning
- Mixing Experiment Helps Remove Ninety Percent of Invasive Smelt From Crystal Lake
- Investigative Film on Penokee Mine Comes to Northern Wisconsin
- Tribe Celebrates Return of Strawberry Island
- Black Ash Baskets: Weaving Resistance to Invasive Species
Count held twice each year
Tue July 23, 2013
Homeless Count In Northwoods Set For July 31
The Northern Wisconsin Initiative To Stop Homelessness Continuum of Care will conduct their bi-annual count of the homeless on July 31.
Lori Hallas from Forward Service Corporation says the "Point In Time" count finds volunteers and staff going out in the region to get an idea of how many people are without shelter....
"....right now we're looking at the cities of Rhinelander, Minocqua, Eagle River, Crandon and Antigo...."
The Point-In-Time count will begin with a kick-off event July 31 at St. Augustine's Episcopal Church partnering with "The Table", a dinner offered the last two days of each month at the church and open to the public...
"....we'll do some education and outreach and let people know that are attending the dinner that night just what this is in their communities in case there is a need for anyone attending that(free) dinner that night..."
The continuum was established in 2009 to end homelessness in Langlade, Forest, Oneida and Vilas counties. Lori Hallas has more information at Forward Service Corporation.