WXPR's Community Journalists
Most Active Stories
- Mixing Experiment Helps Remove Ninety Percent of Invasive Smelt From Crystal Lake
- Black Ash Baskets: Weaving Resistance to Invasive Species
- UPDATE: Star Lake Woman Dies After Rescuing Kids From Drowning
- Tribe Celebrates Return of Strawberry Island
- Investigative Film on Penokee Mine Comes to Northern Wisconsin
Company self-reported violation
Tue June 17, 2014
Merrill Company Fined By State For Pollution
The state has obtained a judgment against a metal fabrication facility in Merrill for violations of state pollution control laws.
Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen reports his office fined Merrill Fab, Inc. $60,000 including court costs.
The DNR compliant reports Merrill Fab was classified as a "major source" of air pollution for toluene and xylene. Officials say over exposure to these pollutants can be a serious health threat.
The civil complaint alleges the company violated state law by exceeding emissions from October 2009 through July of 2010. The company reported the violations and took actions to bring its emissions into compliance. The facility has been in compliance since 2010.