WXPR's Community Journalists
Most Active Stories
- Margot Adler, An NPR Journalist For Three Decades, Dies
- UPDATE: Star Lake Woman Dies After Rescuing Kids From Drowning
- Investigative Film on Penokee Mine Comes to Northern Wisconsin
- State Limited In Helping Keep Rail In Rural Areas: Secretary
- Mixing Experiment Helps Remove Ninety Percent of Invasive Smelt From Crystal Lake
On Veterans Day
Mon November 11, 2013
The Ocean Epic of Walter Wendt
On Veterans Day, we remember the service of veterans from many wars.
Walter Wendt served six and a half years in the Navy in World War II. He was onboard the ship the Helena when it was hit by a torpedo during the attack on Pearl Harbor. WXPR’s Natalie Jablonski talked with 95-year-old Wendt at his neighbor’s home in McNaughton, Wisconsin.