WXPR's Community Journalists
Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Star Lake Woman Dies After Rescuing Kids From Drowning
- Mixing Experiment Helps Remove Ninety Percent of Invasive Smelt From Crystal Lake
- Black Ash Baskets: Weaving Resistance to Invasive Species
- Tribe Celebrates Return of Strawberry Island
- Investigative Film on Penokee Mine Comes to Northern Wisconsin
Up to 20,000 attend
Thu August 15, 2013
Officials Say Vilas County Fair A Success
Good weather brought out tens of thousands of visitors to the Vilas County Fair which ended Sunday in Eagle River.
Fair Assistant Secretary Debra Eicher says the turnout was heavy...
"...it was very successful. We had so many new events. We had great attendance, somewhere between fifteen and twenty thousand(visitors) as best as we could tell because we have free admission..."
She says the public came forward with exhibits...
"...for the open class we had 81 exhibitors and between them there were over a thousand entries...that was a pretty big open class of items. It was a little difficult this year because of the weather for vegetables and flowers, but it was still very nice...."
She says they had close to 700 school exhibits.
And, Eicher says, the planning is already underway for next year....
"....definitely, you're recovering from (this year's) fair while your mind is planning on next year...."
Still to be held....the Price County Fair begins August 21 in Phillips and the Forest County Fair begins September 6 in Crandon.