WXPR's Community Journalists
Most Active Stories
- Mixing Experiment Helps Remove Ninety Percent of Invasive Smelt From Crystal Lake
- Black Ash Baskets: Weaving Resistance to Invasive Species
- UPDATE: Star Lake Woman Dies After Rescuing Kids From Drowning
- Tribe Celebrates Return of Strawberry Island
- Investigative Film on Penokee Mine Comes to Northern Wisconsin
One of few requests picked
Sun December 22, 2013
Packers Foundation Helps Fund Northwoods Trails
Thanks to a very competitive grant from the Green Bay Packers Foundation, a group building Northwoods biking paths have gotten a boost.
The Great Headwaters Trails picked up $3,500 dollars from the Packers.
Group vice-president Gary Meister says they went to Lambeau Field to get their check. He says they're working on 40 miles of off-road, family friendly trails...
"....eventually we'll connect with the 3Eagle Trail in Eagle River, then connect with St. Germain, then go north to Conover, the Conover to Land O' Lakes and then to Phelps. Right now we're working on a segment that goes from Conover to Phelps...."
Meister says the Packers Foundation gets many requests for money...
"...we were one of 10,000 applicants. We were on of 188 to actually receive a grant..."
Construction of the 11 mile Conover to Phelps trail begins next summer. Meister says an additional $350,000 is needed to construct a completed trail to Song Hill Lane and Vilas county "K" where a parking lot is planned. More information is at their website GHTRAILSorg