WXPR's Community Journalists
Most Active Stories
- Margot Adler, An NPR Journalist For Three Decades, Dies
- UPDATE: Star Lake Woman Dies After Rescuing Kids From Drowning
- Investigative Film on Penokee Mine Comes to Northern Wisconsin
- State Limited In Helping Keep Rail In Rural Areas: Secretary
- Mixing Experiment Helps Remove Ninety Percent of Invasive Smelt From Crystal Lake
A Good Name Goes A Long Way
Tue July 2, 2013
Phelps "Phestival" Earns JEM Grant
The state Department of Tourism is lending a hand to a local event this summer.
The Joint Effort Marketing program has awarded more than two thousand dollars to the Phelps Phly in and Pholk Music Phestival.
Event organizer Bill Wilkinson is a contributor to WXPR News. He spoke with Sarah Klavas from the Department of Tourism. Klavas explains that grant readers are always looking for things that set a grant apart…and in this case it was the unusual spelling of the title of the Pholk Phestival…which does not use any “F”s:
“The one thing that rose to the top of my mind is the way that you used the PH. Phly in, and Phestival, and Phelps…so that was very creative and unique, and that really stuck with me.”
Klavas says the JEM grant program is designed to help promote and market new events.
“We love supporting the Northwoods. And when we can combine small town charm and great outdoor recreation with the friendliest people around…it’s a trifecta win for all of us.”
The Phly In and Pholk Phestival will be held Saturday July 20th.
Last year the JEM grant program funded 56 projects throughout the state.