WXPR's Community Journalists
Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Star Lake Woman Dies After Rescuing Kids From Drowning
- Mixing Experiment Helps Remove Ninety Percent of Invasive Smelt From Crystal Lake
- Investigative Film on Penokee Mine Comes to Northern Wisconsin
- Tribe Celebrates Return of Strawberry Island
- Black Ash Baskets: Weaving Resistance to Invasive Species
Dies at home after short illness
Thu June 20, 2013
Vilas Sheriff Frank Tomlanovich Dies
A Northwoods law enforcement leader has died.
Vilas County Sheriff Frank Tomlanovich died Wednesday night at his home after a short illness. A press release from Vilas county says Tomlanovich was surrounded by his family. He was 61 years old.
Sheriff Tomlanovich was employed by Vilas county for 34 years having started in the Eagle River police department. He was a patrol deputy for nearly 15 years and was promoted to Detective Sergeant in 1994, serving in that capacity for 16 years. He was elected Sheriff in 2010.
Vilas County Board Chair Steve Favorite....
"....I was notified by my Chief Deputy and my personal thoughts and prayers go out to the Tomlanovich family and his friends. I guess where we go from here...our County Clerk must now give notice to the Governor of the passing of our sheriff and there's a vacancy of the position....
Funeral services are pending.